This full flavored, quick and easy Instant Pot gluten free lentil soup is going to fill your tummy without breaking the bank!
Instant Pot Gluten Free Lentil Soup
I love to indulge in eating lentils on occasion. I normally have a mixed diet of low carb and paleo, but man oh man do I enjoy having some lentils! So many amazing benefits for the body.
Now, let’s take those lentils, add in a warm soup, and the Instant Pot? I’m totally sold!
At the time of writing this, we are about to enter fall. That means that comforting and cozy soups are about to be my friend. And the Instant Pot is my new favorite friend! So let’s put those two friends together!
A gourmet soup that won’t break the bank!
Do I Need to Rinse the Lentils?
Yes, I would highly recommend rinsing your lentils. Sometimes there can be little rocks mixed in with the lentils and when you rinse and sift them, it makes it easier to spot them and pick them out!
Don’t go breaking a tooth accidentally! Now, it is rarer today than it used to be, but it is still a good practice to get into!
Do You Have To Soak Lentils Before Cooking in an Instant Pot
No, you do not need to soak them before adding them to the Instant Pot.
As noted above though, make sure to rinse them and do a quick survey to make sure they are free of small rocks.
How to Make Gluten Free Lentil Soup
First, make sure your lentils are prepared and ready to go!
Turn the Instant Pot to saute mode and add the coconut oil to heat. Saute the onions for several minutes until softened and lightly brown. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the spices and mix them with the onion and garlic mixture.
Pour in the stock, lentils, and tomatoes. Close the Instant Pot lid and make sure the sealing valve is closed. Turn the Instant Pot to soup mode for 15 minutes. (The total time to get to pressure and release was about 25 minutes)
Once the cooking cycle is complete, do a quick release for the steam. Carefully open the Instant Pot and stir in the full-fat coconut milk. The soup is ready to enjoy. Optionally you can garnish with parsley.
What Are the Health Benefits of Lentils
While some may avoid lentils due to the fact that they are legumes, according to Healthline, lentils have quite a few health benefits!
First of all, they are about 25% protein and are therefore an excellent source of protein. They are also an excellent source of iron as well. Studies have shown that lentils may protect your heart – which is awesome.
Now with the good comes the bad. Lentils do contain “antinutrients” which can affect the absorption of other nutrients. I certainly wouldn’t go eating lentils for breakfast, lunch and dinner – but they are perfectly acceptable, healthy and nutritious to have on occasion!
What to Eat with Lentil Soup
You can’t eat soup by itself! Well, I mean, you can – but it just isn’t as much fun! Here are a few gluten free side dishes that I love eating with this gluten free lentils soup.
And good old fashioned homemade gluten free bread!
- 1 cup lentils (rinsed)
- 1/2 cup onion (finely diced)
- 1- 14 ounce can rire roasted tomatoes
- 1 quart of stock - chicken or vegetable
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more to taste later, if needed)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (full fat)
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute mode and add the coconut oil to heat.
- Saute the onions for several minutes until softened and lightly brown. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the spices and mix them with the onion and garlic mixture.
- Pour in the stock, lentils, and tomatoes.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and make sure the sealing valve is closed.
- Turn the Instant Pot to soup mode for 15 minutes. (The total time to get to pressure and release was about 25 minutes)
- Once the cooking cycle is complete, do a quick release for the steam.
- Carefully open the Instant Pot and stir in the full-fat coconut milk.
- The soup is ready to enjoy.
- Optional: garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 425mgCarbohydrates: 18gNet Carbohydrates: 14gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 12g
Nutrition is calculated using a third party plug-in. It is best to always validate!